Nikritin Solomon Borisovich (1898 - 1965)
SOLOMON BORISOVICH NIKRITIN
Born in Chernigov, Ukraine in 1898.
He attended the Kiev Art School.
In 1918-1920 studied in the studio of Alexandra Exter in Kiev.
Started working with “Culture League” in Kiev.
In 1922 he completed his artistic education at VKhUTEMAS in Moscow.
In 1921 with Alexander Labas, Sergei Luchishkin, Kliment Redko, Mikhail Plaksin and Alexander Tyshler he organized the Electroorganism group. Held exhibitions at the Museum of Painterly Culture in Moscow.
He was represented in the First Russian Art Exhibition in Berlin in 1922.
In 1922 the Projectionist art group and the Projectionist theater were formed in Moscow and Nikritin, as the theater’s director, did research in the field of experimental plastic movement and sound.
He studied the connection between painting and cinema.
In 1923 the Projectionists under the name Method participated in the First Discussional Exhibition of the Associations of Active Revolutionary Art in Moscow.
In early 1930’s he founded the group Polyrealism.
In the 1940’s and 1950’s he designed museum and exhibition interiors.
He died in Moscow in 1965.
Collector George Costakis (Георгий Дионисович Костаки) acquired nearly the entirety of Nikritin’s work from the artist’s widow. Today, the State Museum of Contemporary Art holds 234 works of art by Nikritin (including oil paintings, watercolors, drawings), while the Moscow Tretiakov Gallery holds a similar number of works, also mainly a donation by the Greek collector.